You might also like...

Thursday, August 01, 2024

Why did the Sunny cross the road?





 "Sunny, why do you spend all your money on travelling?"

Ah, that's a good one! I get asked this a lot by my friends, and every time my answer is pretty much the same - because travelling is life, mate! Seriously, think about it. We're here on this planet for, what, eighty-odd years if we're lucky? Why wouldn't you want to see as much of it as possible?

The Thrill of the Unknown

Travelling is like being a kid again. Remember the excitement of exploring new places, not knowing what's around the corner? That's what every trip feels like. Whether it's the chaotic streets of Bangkok or the tranquil fjords of Norway, there's always something unexpected waiting to blow you away. And let's be honest, life's too short for boring routine!



It's More Than Just Sightseeing

Sure, ticking off famous landmarks is great, but travelling is more about the experiences. It's about getting lost in a new city, trying food you can't pronounce, and meeting people who show you that there's more than one way to live this life. I mean, I've had my best conversations with strangers in tiny cafés and shared meals with families who didn't speak a word of English. It's those moments that stick with you, not the selfies in front of monuments. Sitting down on the floor in an airport halfway around the world to charge your dying phone is as much of an experience as walking in slush in falling snow in Salzburg to visit a Christmas market. I have done both and look back at them as fond memories. 

Growth and Perspective

Travel has this sneaky way of changing you. You start seeing things differently, appreciating the small stuff. Like, I used to stress over the smallest things, but after you've navigated a foreign country where you can't read the signs or understand the language, everything else seems manageable. Plus, it makes you realise how much we all have in common, no matter where we're from.



Depend on the Kindness of Strangers

A quote I read in a hotel room wall in Vienna has become my favourite travel quote - "Travel is hard; it makes us depend on the kindness of strangers." This is so true! When you're out of your comfort zone, you learn to trust and rely on people more. And you know what? Most of the time, people are genuinely kind and helpful. It's a humbling experience and reminds you that despite all the bad news we hear, there's a lot of good in the world.

Why I Blow My Savings on It

People often say I’m crazy for spending all my savings on travel. But think about it – money can always be earned back. Time? Not so much. When I'm old and grey, I want to look back and remember the adventures, the people, and the places, not the stuff I bought or the bills I paid. Plus, every trip is an investment in myself. It’s like adding layers to who I am, each place, each experience making me a better, more rounded person.



This is Living the Life

I get so many stories from my travels, some good, some of trouble, but all of them dear to me, especially after the fact. Travelling adds a lot more experience to my life than just doing the 9-5 existence. 

The Final Truth

So yeah, that's why I do it. Travelling isn't just a hobby; it's a way of life. It’s challenging, exhilarating, and incredibly rewarding. It's about growing, learning, and embracing the unknown. So next time you see me packing my bags, know that it's because I'm off to find the next great adventure. Life's too short to just live and die in one little corner of the world, I think. What do you think? 

No comments: