You might also like...

Sunday, August 04, 2024

Morning Walk: A Surprising Blessing




The Morning Walk Miracle: A Personal Journey

I am not a morning person, ok? My favourite when I was younger was to sleep till noon on weekend. I used to be proud of that. I am not that bad now as I changed to biphasic sleep and I always have a thousand and one projects going on so getting up early became a necessity. But my morning starts with checking my email, not walking and all. If you'd told me a few months ago that I'd become one of "those" people, I'd have laughed in your face. But here we are. 

My Forced Start

I started a half an hour walk everyday on doctor's advice as it can help manage blood pressure but I chose lunch time for not morning. Then on my friend's advice, I moved it to morning. I was already getting up early so I was willing to sacrifice my email checking and other projects time for the walk and shift them to lunch time. 

Honestly, I had not expect such a huge difference between lunch time walk and morning walk. It was easy to brush my teeth and get out rather than turn on the computer, but the difference in the feeling, and the outcome in the day, that was remarkable! 




The Quiet Calm

The first thing that struck me was the tranquillity - fewer cars on the road, fewer people around, not much noise from the shops and people, a huge difference that felt very...well, tranquil. Even though I followed the same route, it felt so much different. In a good way. 


Unexpected Benefits

Once I started, it became easier to keep doing it. Rather than it becoming a morning chore it became something I look forward to. It gives my day a great start. I would keep doing it just for the mental clarity. The sense of accomplishment that I get from this is also something I like. I find it easier to focus at work, I am not giving that credit to the morning but, well, I haven't changed anything else. I feel less stressed by getting a few things out of the, the morning walk, followed by pranayam, and then shower. By the time I make breakfast I am feeling like Bond. 



Beauty of Nature

I am lucky that my area is very nice and it is summer. I come across many front gardens, pretty trees and green fields. This will change in winter but there will the fall colours, and other things to enjoy, I am sure. 


Health Perks

I also started to notice some physical benefits. My energy levels are up, and I feel fitter. It was quite a dramatic transformation, that made me feel good about myself. Starting my day with a bit of exercise gives me a smug sense of accomplishment that’s hard to beat. I also noticed that it helped in my stamina for dancing (another story, another time), I don't get tired so easily, my knees don't hurt, and the soles of my feet are not sore. I have not gone for a trip since I started this but I think it will help me wander around a new city as well. 


A Personal Reflection

Although, I myself have hated this advice anytime anyone has suggested it before, still I m daring to give you this advice - try it! 


Give It a Go

I’m not asking you to commit to anything drastic. Just try one. Maybe tomorrow, or the next time you have an hour to spare in the morning, try a small walk - twenty to thirty minutes. Then feel the difference. Who knows, you might want to carry on. 

No comments: