You might also like...

Wednesday, August 07, 2024

7 Steps to Packing Like a Pro





Now that I have been travelling a lot in the cheap airlines where you get the underseat bag allowance for free I have almost mastered the art of packing light. Here are my guidelines. 

 

1. Choose the Right Bag

Think light backpack, not suitcase. No wheels, no big handles, no bulging front pockets, no heavy bodies. Light, easy to carry and something you can have with you every single of the day the long weekend trip of you want. Ensure it has multiple pockets and sections to help you stay organised.

2. Clothes Take Space

Wear the heavy ones you need and dare to leave the rest behind. I buy two-three tshirts from there which serve as tshirts there and as souvenirs to bring back. I told you I was smarter than I look, didn't I?

3. Toiletries: Essentials Only

Buy small bottles from Amazon and pack everything you need in small quantities - shampoo, sunscreen, conditioner, even cologne. If you need makeup, do the same with that Leave the expensive electric toothbrush at home and take either a cheap electric or manual toothbrush. 

On one trip to Norway, I even left my shaver and bought some normal, disposable razors there. Used 2 and binned the rest. They were cheap. 

Remember, most hotels provide basic toiletries so don't overdo it. 





4. Tech and Gadgets

Depends on what you really need but when I am working remotely I pack a light laptop and a little bluetooth mouse. I have powerful wall chargers with multiple ports that can charge my laptop, phone, smartwatch, camera and anything else I need. Get one that has an adapter in it as well

Take a couple of small lightweight power banks. The 10000mAh ones are pretty light these days. 

Limit your tech to the bare necessities:

  • Smartphone (with charger)
  • Headphones
  • Travel adapter

Leave the laptop and other gadgets at home, if you don't plan to work there.

5. Documents and Money

Use a slim travel wallet to keep your essentials:

  • Passport
  • Travel insurance
  • Credit cards and a small amount of local currency
  • Boarding passes and hotel confirmations (digital copies on your phone can work but always better to have backup.)

6. Miscellaneous Essentials

A few small items can make a big difference:

  • Reusable water bottle
  • Snacks for the journey
  • Sunglasses
  • A hat or cap (I sometimes buy one in a souvenir shop there)
  • A small, foldable reusable bag (Search Day pack on Amazon, they are very useful for those in-between days there). 

7. Packing Tips

  • Roll, Don’t Fold: Rolling clothes saves space and reduces wrinkles.
  • Utilise Pockets: Use your bag’s compartments and pockets for small items.
  • Wear Bulky Items: If you need boots or a heavy coat, wear them on the plane to save space in your bag.


Before you leave, do a final check:

  • Can you carry your bag comfortably under your seat?
  • Do you have all your essentials?
  • Have you left out non-essentials?
Safe travels!

No comments: