You might also like...

Friday, August 02, 2024

A Stroll Through Paris: Moments and Monuments





When I was going to Paris my friend Paul suggested me to take this walk and he impressed upon me that I must do this. This was a one-hour walk and the route passed through many of Paris' well-known historical spots. I want to tell you the story of that walk because I want to entice you into doing it yourself when you are in Paris. 

Starting Point: The Louvre

First stop, the Louvre. As I stood there, outside the iconic glass pyramid, I couldn’t help but feel like I was in the opening scene of a French rom-com. The sheer size and grandeur of the museum made me feel tiny, but in a good way. There were tourists snapping selfies left and right, and I thought, "When in Paris..." But I took my selfies quickly because I had other targets in mind. Am I the only person on Earth who has no desire to see the Mona Lisa? 

Jardin des Tuileries: Green Bliss

Leaving the Louvre behind, I meandered through the Jardin des Tuileries. This place is like a green oasis in the middle of the city. Picture this: manicured lawns, statues that look like they might come to life at any moment, and ponds that mirror the sky. Other than just be a nice place to look at, this garden was a place to come and relax in the middle of your day, the cool fountains, the shady, tree-lined walks and the benches, so many benches inviting you to sit a spell. This is where I thought "The French really know how to live." 

I made it as far as the gate on the other side then I found a bench that seemed to have my name on it. I plopped down, turned off my camera and just sat there, soaking in the moment. Near me was the Luxor Obelisk with two famous fountains flanking it, numerous museums all around and in the distance, peeking its head about the trees the Eiffel Tower. The perfect setting if you want to become a poet. For a moment, I did consider writing poetry but instead, I just took a deep breath and enjoyed the view. It was some view! 





Historical Vibes at Place de la Concorde

Next up, Place de la Concorde. This square is dripping with history and grandeur. The fountains were doing their thing, spraying water majestically, and the Luxor Obelisk was obelisking, standing tall, looking ancient and important. I took a moment to snap some photos, mostly of the fountains, because who doesn’t love a good fountain pic?  I won't bore you with it now but you must Google the Obelisk to read its history and how it got to Paris. It's quite a story. 





Champs-Élysées: Café Culture

As I passed the Place de la Concorde, I hit the Champs-Élysées. I am still proud of the fact that I know how to pronounce it. When I read its name the first time in a book, I used to pronounce it phonetically, now I laugh at it. It was in my one semester of French that I learnt how to pronounce it (shaanze-leezey) and what an important road it is. 

This avenue is like the red carpet of Paris, lined with shops, theatres, and cafes. I couldn't resist the pull of a quaint little cafe. I ordered a pastry and a coffee, and for a while, just watched the world go by. There’s something oddly satisfying about sipping coffee and nibbling on a dessert while pretending to be world-traveller. Très chic, right?



Final Climb: Arc de Triomphe

Finally, I made my way to the Arc de Triomphe. This beast of a monument was the cherry on top of my Parisian sundae. I decided to climb to the top because...well, I needed the photos if nothing else. The circular staircase was a bit much, and I saw three people give up halfway. But I kept going, motivated by the promise of an epic view. And boy, was it worth it! From the top, the Eiffel Tower looked imposing and picturesque, and the streets below formed a perfect star. It was one of those moments where you just have to stop and take it all in.

Two days ago, I had taken photos of the Arc de Triomphe from the top of the Eiffel Tower, now the Arc returned the favour. I clicked a lot of photos, there. A lot. 



Your mission should you choose to accept it...

My walk from the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe was more than just a stroll; it was an adventure through the heart of Paris. If you ever find yourself in this magical city, take this walk. It might take you an hour, or three if you dawdle like I did. But trust me, it's worth every second. Try it, and let the magic of Paris sweep you off your feet.

No comments: