You might also like...

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The ultimate source of motivation

Most people need someone or something to motivate them. I mentioned in
one post that I am engaged in writing 3 books currently. And right now
all 3 are at a standstill. Because I ran out of volunteer editors.
Writing a book is a much bigger project than a single story and I need
someone who can read the work so far and say, "Hmmm, alright so far,
keep going"... and then I can shoot the next chapter at them. I don't
care if the feedback is positive or negative, as long as it keeps me
going and keeps me on the right track.

Unfortunately, you can't always have someone to push you along and if
you keep sitting there waiting for that someone or something you will be
leaving an assprint for the world to see not your footprints to follow.
I am not a motivational speaker and by no means an expert in psychology.
I am just talking about what works for me in the hope that it might work
for others and also that my readers may share what works for them.

1. I find that quotations are a good source of motivation. When I read
things like

"A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for." -John
A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic

Or,

"Aim not for what you are, but for what you could be." -Lucas Hellmer

And,

"Don't go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and
leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

They fire me up with energy.

2. Another good source is music. The music that makes you want to dance
also makes you want to wrestle a wild tiger (or something more
appropriate that you have been wanting to take on but never got around
to). My playlists usually contain Hindi songs from Indian (Bollywood)
movies or rarely from a Hindi album, but for each his own. You will find
your own selection that doesn't put you to sleep but makes you feel
bursting with enthusiasm.

3. This one may only be relevant to writing but I feel quite inspired if
I read my own finished or unfinished work.
a) If I read what I have written and still don't puke, it gives me the
confidence that I can actually write.
b) Even as I am reading my own work, I feel this overwhelming desire to
do one better on myself. I am thinking, "I bet I can write better than I
did when I wrote this last week."

4. People also provide inspiration, those who say, "Yeah, I am sure you
can do it.", but also the ones who say (or usually imply), that you
can't do it - "Oh, writing a book is such a big project! One just can't
handle that with the pressures of a regular job." I have found that it
becomes easy for me to do something if I hear anyone doubt me or if it's
something which is beyond my perceived capabilities.

5. And sometimes, just sitting down to write, even when there is no
thought, no plan, just sitting down, fingers on the keyboard, gets me
going.

Well, enough about me, what motivates you?

No comments: