You might also like...

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hair again

Let me talk about this hair thing a little more. The reason I was thinking about it was that for the first time in my life I changed my hairstyle. For a long long time (never mind how long, suffice it to say that I have seen a lot winters and a lot of summers) during which I have worked in 5 cities in 3 countries in 3 different continents, I have never changed my hairstyle. But when I arrived in this 6th city I made a new friend and she told me that my hair is one of the two things that show me up as a tourist, a foreigner.
Open as I always am to feedback and constructive criticism, I decided to change it. But I kept postponing it, not sure what I wanted it to look like and a little nervous. A colleague of mine, who by a fluke of chance needed a haircut around the same time as I, was looking strictly for an Asian barber, not trusting English barbers one bit. I don't blame him for when I myself got to the barber's chair finally and told him what I wanted I found myself more than a little apprehensive. The sound of scissors started and when I looked at myself in the mirror I found that I was cringing. Positively, visibly cringing. That made me think and the blog entry about hair was born.
Thankfully the change went well and next morning my boss was the first one to say that it fits here and looks good!
It was almost exactly the same situation when I decided to get rid of my moustache in US, but that's a different story.

No comments: