You might also like...

Friday, January 05, 2007

Ego is a bad thing

Or so I thought.

Yesterday, I was talking to my friend about things in general and I said, "Yes, I consider myself superior, not only to you but the rest of the world!"

"And" I added, "if I didn't think so, I'd never try to achieve the impossible!"



That started a chain of thought. Isn't it always that way? Even though ego is considered such a bad thing, isn't it always the ego that motivates us despite difficulties and impossible odds to try and achieve what we want?



When you try to get the first place, are you not saying that you consider yourself superior to the other 39 students in the class?



When you start a business are you not claiming confidence in your own abilities that can defeat the bleak odds against new businesses?



In applying for a job, don't you go with the feeling in your mind that you are better than the other 1022 candidates who have applied? Or that you can fool the interviewer in thinking so?





Every target, every effort, starts from the realization of ego that can be called self-confidence, determination or anything else you like.



The motivational mantra is "YOU can do it!" not "It is possible for one to achieve it!". Only when you talk "YOU" the person involved will take notice of what you are saying. Ego is everything.



Ego is a good thing!





The bad part I think comes from the thought-process where you start thinking of yourself not in terms of an excellent person but a perfect person and everyone else as worthless.



The moment that happens, you close down the avenues of learning and basically turn away from the truth.



I'd like to sum it up with one of my most favourite quotes. From Michael J. Fox, a personality for whom I have the utmost respect and admiration, he said, "I am very careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can shoot for; perfection is God's business!"



No comments: