You might also like...

Monday, January 22, 2007

O des se aane waale bata, kis haal mein hai yaa-raa-ne watan

It's kinda stupid really. All the time that I am in India, I am always
looking for opportunities to travel abroad, and I do enjoy that. And I
have said about a 1000 times that a 2-month trip is no fun, I need to
live there, create my own life and enjoy it there. But once I am out of
the country, once I am living in a foreign country I sometimes, not
always but sometimes, I do miss the life home.

There is this wistful feeling, every time I think about the life at my
parental home, there is not one but many things I miss. The easy rhythm
of life, that care by mom to the point of being spoilt, being fawned
upon by my many nephews and nieces, being the VIP visitor, re-uniting
with the closest friends, walking in those familiar streets, it feels nice!
The longer I have been away the better it feels!

There is a beautiful nazm, I don't remember the poet and as nazm's are
harder to memorize than ghazals, I don't know it all. But it's a
wonderful nazm that touches the deepest point in my heart and the couple
of lines that I do remember I cherish dearly. For my non-Hindi speaking
readers, if any, I will translate.

O des se aane waale bata, kis haal mein hain yaa-raa-ne watan

This is the beginning, which means O, visitor from my land, tell me how
are my friends in that country.
My favorite lines in this are:

Wo shehar jo hamse chhoota hai, wo shehar hamara kaisa hai,
Sab log hain hamko pyaare magar, wo jaan se pyaara kaisa hai.

Translation:
The city that I have missed, how is that city of mine?
Everyone is dear to me, but how is the one that's dearer than my own
life?


Of course, it doesn't rhyme in English, (I am not that talented), but
you get the idea, of the soft, wistful, nostalgic image it conjures up.

On the whole, I think it is a part of healthy life - something to do,
something to love and enjoy and yet something to miss, to look forward
to.

No comments: