You might also like...

Monday, June 18, 2007

Rules of life



I am careful to have as few rules in life as possible. What with the government and the society imposing so many laws and rules and customs and whatnot, I don't need to add to all that. Still, I do have a few rules for myself. One of my rules is - "Never say NO to ice cream!"



I believe the quote that I heard in an old Indian TV show, "Life is like an ice cream, enjoy it before it melts!" I insist on enjoying both - life and ice cream!



In my teen years, I used to read a lot of Enid Blyton's wonderful stories involving children and in all the stories the children had a dog. Five-Find-Outers-and-dog was my favorite series. And there was, of course, the most famous of them all, Famous Five. All these children used to eat a lot of ice cream. Their dog used to get his own share and then they would comment,

"It's wasted on him, look at him gobble, he eats it so fast he doesn't even taste it."



Till that time I was not familiar with this concept - eating something so fast that you can't taste it. Tasting something is different from eating it!



If you look at the people around you, you'll find a lot of them who go through life gobbling it, eating it like food but never enjoying it, never pausing to really taste this wonderful gift from God.



We always give stress on the wrong things - job security, money, house, mortgage, never do we learn to enjoy and 'live' life as it should be lived - enjoying the pleasures of every moment, living instead of passing time!



That is why I have this rule - to me, ice cream signifies life, you have to enjoy it in that moment, it won't wait for you, and you have to make sure you don't just eat it but taste it fully, cherishing every smooth bite, letting it melt in your mouth, not in the bowl!



Damn! Now I want ice cream! :-)

No comments: