You might also like...

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Singles Auction

It didn't go as expected. Other than that it was fine.
The problem points -
* The crowd was very interactive. Among themselves and to me. So,they interrupted a lot.
* Most of them who attended the auction seemed to belong to the same group and knew each other. I was the new one there.
* They also had figured out who wanted to date whom beforehand.
* They were not interested in comedy or jokes.
 
But it was not bad after all. Once I realized that I had misjudged the opportunity as a place to try out my stand-up bit, I rolled with the punches. The starting spiel that I delivered was very well received. They laughed even when I started with, "I am a vegetarian, so if you don't like my jokes please don't throw eggs". After the first auction then, I heeded the crowd's demand for auction after auction. And limited myself to making witty comments as part of the auction process. That was also fun and the reaction was good.
 
So, as an auctioneer I did well. My colleagues and my friends liked it.  My organizer friends liked it. The auction was successful. We made 1600GBP from just the auctions!! Yippee!!
In the end, I don't know why but I put myself on the auction, against the signal from my friend and colleague who was watching. It happened at a very bad time cos people were already leaving. But we got 35 pounds more for the kids and I got a date with a girl I liked.
 
So, all's well that ends in a well! LOL!
 

No comments: