You might also like...

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Malta Trip #5 – An Evening in Malta




Yeah, it was not as glamorous as the title makes it sound. We got off the ferry, the last passengers to get off because we were clicking and filming until the last possible moment. Then Roberta wanted to find our flat so we could try and capture the sunset from there. I was a bit more realistic, the time was gone. Still, we hurried and took a bus from 
Mgarr 

Harbour, Gozo where the Ferry had deposited us.

[Photo credit: Roberta] 

We only had to go 2 stops on the bus but we went three because we missed our stop. Then we had to trek back. Thankfully it was all downhill....until we came to our actual stop. Then it wa
s uphill. For our stay in Gozo, Roberta had found this great plate which was a two-bedroom flat within an honest-to-god fort called Fort Chambray. As a photo location that place was epic. But to climb up the hill to get to it....? I don’t know if you are keeping track but we still had our suitcases with us. Everything we had carried with us from UK plus whatever we bought in Malta, namely the keyboard, we were carrying with us. So, it was not a fun climb.

[Photo credit: Roberta] 

There was a big gate which was closed. Roberta called the flat owner and he opened the gate for us by an app on his mobile. Technology, huh? A little more climb then we hunted around for the actual flat. Didn’t find it. Walking up and down the dark corridors of the fort was not fun. Thankfully, the flat owner was available on phone for directions and after a couple of false starts we found the place.

 What a lovely place! The fort was old but the flat was new and fully furnished including dishwasher, fridge, microwave and anything you wanted. First thing we wanted was to rest our legs. So we plopped down on the sofas and talked about food options. The flat had a fully functioning kitchen but we were missing two things – groceries and the stamina to cook. We took the easy way out and ordered takeaway from Bolt Food. We had to walk down to the big metal gate to receive the food but now we had a remote to “Open Sesame” the big gate.

 In the Bolt Food menu there were many different restaurants and we had ordered Italian because that’s one cuisine Roberta and I agree on. More on that later. I had ordered a plain Margarita pizza and garlic bread hoping that at least one of them would be good. Boy, was I wrong. The pizza was burnt and tasted like it. The garlic bread, let’s not talk about it or your stomach will turn. I had two slices of pizza from the non-burnt part then lost the determination to continue. I threw away the garlic bread then and the rest of the pizza next morning. Roberta was more forgiving and about finished her pizza. If you are keeping track, this had been a longass day and we were both tired so after the “dinner” we retired to our rooms.

 While I might not be a kickass professional photographer, I do try to cultivate good habits of the professionals. One of them is to put all my gadgets on charge before going to bed. Malta has the same electric sockets that we have in UK so we didn’t need to pack international adapters but I had packed one anyway just in case and also because it served as a multi-plug. I had also packed an extension board that gave me 3 electric sockets and 4 USB charging sockets. Using these two, I set all my stuff on charge – phone, camera battery, smartwatch etc.


 

The second good habit I follow is to copy all the media from a day’s shooting before going to bed no matter how tired I am. If I took photos in Malta and lost them through a mistake or accident, I would be kicking myself because they can’t be reproduced easily. My phone has a big storage and I was carrying a few solutions for the USB-C port that is offers. Using a USB-C card reader, I copied today’s photos and videos from the camera card on to the phone. From there they would automatically get sync’ed (I used an app called DriveSync) to my Google Drive. Two backup copies. The photos I take on my phone get sync’ed to the Google Drive instantly anyway.

 Once that was done, I had time to check the keyboard. It worked like magic. I was able to do all that I wanted to do on the tablet including writing fiction. Touch typing was possible at almost my full typing speed. Then it was time to sleep because sunrise was expected about 0730 and I wanted to be there to greet it.

 The next morning the disadvantage of living in an impractical, hard-to-reach fort paid off in full. 

No comments: