You might also like...

Monday, February 12, 2007

The madness continues

This is the time for anyone to call me insane without fear of a rebuttal
or challenge. This weekend my nightclub launched. We had the opening on
Friday evening.

What nightclub you ask? Which country? Which city?

Well, that's where the insanity comes in. This nightclub is only
virtual, some bits in a database that show up on the computer screen as
a well-lit dance floor, with colored spotlights and the rest of the
club-like decorations all around.

Yes, those who know me closely can guess that I am talking about Second
Life. My first two business ideas in SL launched the same day, Bollywood
Fashions, the fashion line based on Indian fashion and the nightclub -
Club Silverstar. My club is one of the few in all of SL that features
live DJ's that play a great selection of music and are completely open
to public requests. I found that most of the time people are so into the
music that's playing they don't request anything different. And when
they do request the DJ's are most of the time able to find the song and
play it for them.

Yes, I spent real money to setup this club and my partner radio station,
House of Music, that provides DJ's and bandwidth and the whole radio
setup, they have put in real money too. Yes, we do expect returns in
real money, maybe not very quickly but soon, as the club builds up a
reputation. Most of all, it is fun running a nightclub. I have never
thought about running such a club in RL. I want to be a businessman but
my business ideas are generally confined to software. But in SL, this is
the perfect business.

I get to do things that I would like to, people come to me for jobs, I
walk around wearing a tag that says "Club Owner" and I have the same
attachment, aspirations, concerns, fears, and activities as I would have
for a real life business.

Just before we opened on Friday there was a lady from, "Looks", an SL
magazine, who was doing a piece on nightclubs in SL. That was like
giving an RL interview. Then Sunday, one of the DJ's interviewed me on
live radio, on-air, about the club. That was completely real too. :)

But still, if someone wants to call me crazy, I would understand, be my
guest!! :-)

No comments: