All because I wouldn't go to the bloody opera with her.
And that brings up a very interesting question - what are the finer things in life and who decides?
As always I am going to pose the questions and leave you holding the bag for answers.
- Why is wine tasting a finer thing while drinking beer while watching sports is uncouth?
- Why is watching a boring, insomnia-curing opera is finer but watching a 2-hour rollercoaster of action and suspense with Messers Stallone and Schwarzenegger is not?
- Why is reading mind-numbing, brain-killing fat-ass classics is a finer thing even though they were not written for today's life, but reading an interesting, action-packed thriller is junk?
Well, the answer to who decides is simple - the society! How is it decided? I may not have the definitive answer but I have some theories.
- Anything that's so expensive that only an elite group of people can do it, is a finer thing in life. Case in point - Theatre vs. Movies, Wine vs. Beer.
- Anything that's so mind-numblingly boring that doctors can prescribe it in place of sedative is a finer thing. Case in point - opera.
- Anything that's fun and enjoyable is eithe forbidden or dirty or both. Case in point - sex.
- Anything that's cheap and easy to obtain is junk. Case in point - Burgers and Pizza.
You know the finer things in my life?
Any moment when I can enjoy the music (any kind of music) and move to it, with or without a pretty girl for a partner. (I am no dancer but I believe in the old adage from Bali island "If a man is happy, he can always learn to dance.")
Any stupid, silly comedy show that makes me clap and burst into laughter.
A smile that comes to my lips after I finish a nice meal that I cooked for myself.
An evening with friends where they are being just as silly as I am (or usually beating me at it) and it doesn't matter what the silliness was wrapped around, a game of pool, a movie or a dance class.
A parcel that brings me a new book. Read or unread.
...actually, I have a few thousand more but they all have one thing in common, I don't give a hoot if they are the official "finer" things or not. My life, my rules! [Hmmm, not a bad title for my autobiography! ;) ]